PCOS – Polycystic Ovary Syndrome is one the most common reasons for Female Infertility. 1 in 5 women are affected by PCOS in India.
What is PCOS ?
PCOS is a health conditions caused due to hormonal imbalance in the female body. It causes cysts (fluid fiulled sacs) in the ovaries due to which they are either not able to make eggs or release eggs during ovulation.
The cause of PCOS are mostly genetic. If any of your relatives (mother, aunts, sisters have PCOS, hypertension or diabetes, then your risk of developing PCOS may be increased.
Symptoms of PCOS:
- Infertility – difficulty in getting pregnant
- Infrequent/Absent/Irregular periods
- Obesity & Weight gain
- Increased hair growth
How is PCOS treated?
PCOS is a recurring problem and cannot be treated completely. It can be controlled by:
- Maintaining a healthy lifestyle and regular exercises
- Losing weight
- Reducing stress
- hormonal birth control pills if not planning a pregnancy
How to plan Pregnancy with PCOS:
- Ovulation Induction Medications
- Surgery: Laparoscopic Ovarian Drilling is a treatment to trigger ovulation.
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF). If the symptoms of PCOS still persist, IVF may be a good option to get pregnant. In IVF, the woman’s eggs are fertilized with her partner’s sperm in an IVF laboratory and then placed in the uterus to develop. Compared to medicines alone, IVF has higher pregnancy rates.
Dr Gunjan Gupta,the Founder of Gunjan IVF World has successfully treated hundreds of PCOS patients using oral medications, Laparoscopic surgeries and IVF. She can be contacted at
Gunjan IVF World: C-6, Shakti Khand 4, Near DPS, Next to Petrol Pump, Indirapuram
Gunjan’s Gynae N Neuro Clinic: A-106, Rajhans Plaza, Kala Pathar Road, Indirapuram