Male infertility is very common. Still it overlooked as a medical condition and believed more as a social taboo in a country like India. As quoted in Times of India, based on a research, a whopping 46% of Indians, between the ages of 31 and 40, require medical intervention to conceive as one or both partners suffer from fertility problems. This is a startling figure!
Though we generally like to believe that infertility is always a women’s problem, in reality, a massive 30% of cases are attributable to male infertility. Taking a global average, one in every twenty men have some form a fertility issue. SO this would be the high time for acknowledge the issue and go for the treatment.
What is Male Infertility?
A man’s fertility will referred to as the quality and quantity of sperms produced. If the number of sperm a man ejaculates is lower than required or if the sperms are of poor quality, it is difficult or sometimes impossible for him to cause a pregnancy. This condition is generally referred to as male infertility.
How is it diagnosed?
The simplest and the most common way to ascertain male infertility is the Semen Analysis. The same gives a clear indication of the type and magnitude of the problem.
What leads to male infertility?
There will be a wide spectrum of causes with male infertility. However, some of the most common ones are:
- Hormonal disorders like pituitary tumors, congenital lack of LH/FSH or steroid abuse etc.
- By birth, like in some cases, a male child is born with congenital absence of vas deferens (the tube through which sperm passes from the testis to outside the body).
- Childhood conditions. For example, in some cases childhood mumps leads to testicular failure or damage
- Genetic disorders
- Physical abnormalities
- Some sexually transmitted diseases like Gonorrhoea or Chlamydia. These cause the blockage of tubes carrying sperms.
- Smoking and drinking would one of the major factors as it researched that men who smoke or drink have 13% – 17% less sperm count than the teetotalers.
Can I still be a father? HOW?
Till about last decade, the only option for men with little or no sperms, condition referred to as Azoospermias. They would left with an option either to adopt a child or get donor for sperms. However, with advancements in medical technology, procreation is possible for men with little or no sperm count. Hence, it is possible in most of the case now for you to become father even if diagnosed with male infertility treatment provided you get the right treatment from the right place.
Procedure by which male infertility will be cure are:
- TESA – Testicular Sperm Aspirationis is an invasive procedure in which a needle would penetrated through the epidermis of the scrotum which then aspirates the fluid inside the testicle.
- PESA – Percutaneous Epididymal Sperm Aspiration: In this technique needle will directly injected into the epididymis.
- Percutaneous Biopsy of the Testis (Perc Biopsy): Similar technique done with a bigger needle to extract more sperm.
- MESA – Micro-surgical Epididymal Sperm Aspiration: It’s an open surgical procedure wherein the tubules of the epididymis are located with the help of an operating microscope with a greater precision so as to aspirate a larger amount of sperm.
- TESE – Testicular sperm extraction used in case of patients who have zero sperm count and don’t have any blockages as well. It’s an advanced sperm retrieval technique. The scrotum will opened up surgically. Large amount of testicular tissue will extracted from various parts of the testicles to check and isolate sperms from them.
- Micro-dissection TESE another advanced technique involves a more focused dissection of the testicle tissue with the help of a micro-dissecting microscope. This process is less damaging and the impact on tiny blood vessels post surgery and the risk of cutting them is also considerably low in this procedure.
Thus it is very safe to say that today there is lot of hope for every couple looking forward to starting a family but unable to do so due to male fertility issues. But it is important that you get the right treatment from the right place. At Gunjan’s IVF World, the consultation, diagnoses and the treatment provided by pioneers in the field.
That is why we say that happy families start here at Gunjan’s IVF World!